Saturday, October 28, 2017

#Vanlife Lesson #1: Mountain Make Me Strong

Sleeping Ute Mountain - Colorado
You know it's cold when the mountain puts on it's blanket.

We are 9 months into #vanlife now, and it's time to recap some lessons learned on the road – ones you won't find in all those preparatory YouTube videos you may be watching. There's so much more to it than learning how to potty in every possible outdoor environment--more to it than having the right cook stove and a generous supply of babywipes.

Although I would never, ever, dis on the babywipes. 
This train runs on them, no doubt.

When I left on this journey I was a stressed out-crust of a person, crumbs crumbling right and left. I was fat and out of shape, with a host of bad habits. Walking a mile was a stretch assignment. Climbing a hill was out of my league.

This life has changed me, physically, mentally, spiritually. It has washed me in cold creek water, rung me out, and hung me up to dry in the hot desert sun.  It has taught me gratitude and frugality. 

Most of all, it has made me strong.

Climbing a rocky desert hill at 5000 feet was the first challenge. In order to get to the gold panning grounds, we had to walk this hill, everyday, (both ways!) carrying all of our equipment. Pounds of it and my own extra padding dragged at my every step. I couldn't breathe. 

Anasazi ruins, Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, CO.

My heart beat at a speed it never attained no matter how stressful the business meeting.

I started by praying for strength, when I wasn't berating myself for a wuss or worrying about which arm aches in a heart attack. But it wasn't long before I realized that you don't pray for strength, you earn it. 

You pray for determination and strength will come. I stopped saying “Please make me strong enough to climb this mountain” and started repeating

“Mountain, make me strong.”

And it did. Every step up that mountain rebuilt me. Now I scamper around on cliffsides and hop from rock to rock. 

Yesterday we forded a creek and hiked to ancient Anasazi ruins on an unmarked trail. We found untouched ruins, hand tools, petroglyphs, and shards of black and white pottery. We drank a jug of water where the ancients sat on the “steps” outside their home. We looked at the view they saw with not a work of modern man in sight.

An ancient Anasazi dwelling, Water storage?  Canyons of the Ancients NM

By the time I was strong enough to do it, I was ready to be blown away by the experience. You will be, too, if you have the right chance and the right stuff to jump off. 

By the way, we left all of the artifacts there for you to see when you come this way.  Canyon of the Ancients, add it to your "must boondock" list.

Anasazi Pottery Shards, Canyons of the Ancients.  Left onsite as the law and good stewardship requires.

To experience freedom for a year, or the rest of your life -- consider it. 

There's no life like this one, I participate and am present in every day of my life now - and it has made me strong, thrifty, grateful and wise.


What #vanlife challenges have transformed you?  

If you haven't jumped off yet, what do you expect to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment